Thursday, January 03 2013
Still feeling sluggish, bloated, as well as having a few centimetres extra on your waist?! Here are some easy ways to be healthier and ultimately feel well, balanced, end emotional eating and ultimately happier. Food has a direct way of influencing our hormones, moods and emotions. Remove the anxiety, stress and even depression by changing the meal plan and changing your lifestyle to live healthier and happier, always! You have the greatest power to make changes to your health and I can help show you the way:
1. Eat three meals a day, ideally with a five hour gap in between. Eat slowly from a smaller plate. It takes 20 minutes for your brain to register that you have eaten and up to four hours to digest a meal of proteins, fats and carbohydrates. No snacks!
2. Ensure good quality protein ideally at each meal – protein contains amino acids which are the building blocks of lean tissue and aid satiety.
3. Eat masses of plant-based foods, i.e. lots of green leafy vegetables and preferably organic to avoid pesticides. These foods provide your vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals which boost your immune system and enliven your cells.
4. Choose prepared foods with simple, easy to pronounce ingredients. If you cannot say it, do not put it in your body! Cook from scratch!
5. Ideally drink 1-2 litres of water daily (filtered or bottled is best) and drink a glass ½ hour before meals to ensure you eat only what you need. Dehydration often leads to depression and overeating.
6. Replace all wheat with more nutritious grains such as spelt or try gluten-free which is much kinder on the digestive system and avoid the bulging wheat belly! Gluten is also related to mood swings and depression. Ideally minimise grains.
7. Include essential fats (i.e. Omega 3.6.9) in your foods plan by eating oily fish, seeds and nuts. Good oils make good fats and hormones and reduce the bad guys!
8. Avoid artificial sweeteners or ‘low-fat foods’ at all costs as ultimately they make you crave sweet or carbohydrate foods and play havoc with your hormones. Stevia is the only exception as it is plant based.
9. Eat some fermented foods in your diet as they increase your probiotic status in your gut, boost the immune system and minimise cravings.
10. Be comfortable saying No. It’s your health!! Be aware of food sensitivities / intolerances or get checked!
11. Awareness is one of the most important ways of learning and avoiding emotional eating. Write down everything that you eat and drink.
12. Think!! Make healthier choices, it is very achievable and even necessary. You CAN do it! An unbalanced diet with too much of the bad foods can leave you feeling unhealthy and unhappy.
Think you may need some help or want to know what your food sensitivities are? Book a Health MOT and take the guesswork away - it's like a health questionnaire for your body that will not lie!! Call today 01249 818758